Fried Conch: It’s as Good as Conch Gets!
Fried Conch (cracked conch) is a favorite dish of the Florida Keys!
Here is a simple Fried Conch recipe that is both easy to prepare and excellent to eat. Conch, pronounced konk, is a must try when you get the chance. Seriously, it should be nicknamed the chicken of the sea!
This big guy (the conch) has been a staple for island dwellers throughout history. It’s no wonder they always look happy and content!
There are a number of ways to enjoy this wonderful seafood. You can make salads, chowders, and fritters. Our my favorite, Fried conch.
A couple years ago, we took a sailing course and chartered a sailing cat to the Bahamas. We were lucky enough to pick up conch in the sea grass (legal in the Bahamas) while snorkeling. Living like royalty, we feasted on conch almost daily for 10 days. Amazing!
Preppin’ fresh conch is a tough job though. It’s a story in itself! Someday I’ll go through the steps necessary to get them to the plate.
As with most recipes, change the amounts of spice to suit your personal taste!
The secret to all conch recipes is in the spices.
Share this recipe with your friends, they’ll be glad you did!
If you like it, share a little love over to your left!
Fried Conch Recipe
- 4 conch
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of smashed bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- olive oil
- Clean conch before beating.
- Seriously beat the conch with a metal mallet until very tender. Meat should be about 3/16″ thick and partly shredded.
- Cut into strips approximately 1″ wide.
- In a bowl, add eggs and whip until frothy.
- In same bowl, add milk, salt, pepper and cumin.
- In another bowl, mix flower and smashed bread crumbs.
- Dip conch in egg mixture, then roll in flour mixture until covered.
- Fry in about a 1/4″ of oil until conch turns a light golden brown.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle on a few drops of fresh lime juice and enjoy!
Excellent with ice cold Kalik, Cuervo shots, or margaritas!